Thursday, June 21, 2007

Target Trauma

I neglectd to write and tell you about the other major thing that happened this week on Tuesday. So there we are (me, Lil, Rachel, and baby Paisley) walking into Target for some fun shopping.... now, honestly, I don't know what the hidden variable is with Target, but everytime I go, with anyone (my mom, Tonya, my sister, by myself) and Lilly is with me, she acts completely rotten and Tuesday was no different. I quickly found a cute little lip smackers purse complete with lip gloss and strawberry chapstick. Lilly sat her naughty bum in the cart and seemed to be content with her new stuff. I noticed she was chewing on the lid to the chapstick (which was unusual) and quickly had her remove it and I explained that doing so was 'dangerous'. She seemed to understand and I felt as if a little fear had been instilled as well. About 90 seconds later, I see she is choking (on the lid no doubt) but she was still getting air so i wasn't calling for help yet. I stayed calm, took her out of the cart, and started pounding on her back. A few seconds later, it sounded like maybe she had swallowed it. I flipped her around to look at her face-- and to my horror, she was not geting air anymore. The lid lodged deeper and she was Really choking. This is when I started yelling "Help! Help me! Somebody!". I have taken I would say 4 CPR courses since high school- but let me tell ya..... when it is only you and your child in the lingerie department at Target, and it's go time, you really probably don't know what the hell you are doing. I started pumping away. I thought breaking a rib might be the worst thing to have happen-- (that is unless she choked to death in my arms..) After what seemed like eternity, the lid came up covered with blood. This is about the point my sister arrived after hearing my cry for help, and when I fell to my knees in tears holding my baby. I know you're wondering if anyone else came running to help-- the answer is no. (thought provoking i think) so... what a week it has been. I true reality check for me. I think everyone of you reading needs to know, i love you and would be devastated to lose any one of you whether it be to a chapstick lid or anything else. stay safe, look both ways, and drive happy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog has made me realize I need a refresher course in CPR -
I am afraid I would have been no
help - I need to remove the dust
from my CPR book

Anonymous said...

WHAT IS WITH TRAGET AND LIL? MAYBE SHE SHOULD NOT GO THERE ANYMORE. RIGHT? I AM GLAD ALL IS WELL THOUGH. LOVE TONYA